From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2016 07:51:30 -0400
> No I don't have your article of 4 years back,  most of us don’t keep magazines that long. Is that available online somewhere??

Posted the whole thing here, yesterday.

By the way, resistant populations arise all the time in various species. Think, antibiotic resistant bacteria, acaricide resistant mites. The idea that bees would develop resistant to mites is not untenable; the question is whether a given population will or not, left unmanaged. Some populations were wiped out; in Puerto Rico they report mite resistant African bees that do not have the defensiveness seen elsewhere.

Again, there is no question that mite resistance will not develop while beekeepers use acaricides. However, mite resistant bees can and have been developed which can be used to reduce acaricide use and in some cases, beekeepers no long treat. The question is: why has this not become universal. And the reasons are many and varied.

If you want a simple answer, I can't give it. I meet people all the time who claim good survival rates without treatment, and I see hives all the time that die because of too many mites.

PLB