From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:06:38 -0800
For a long time, Portland (OR) would not take plastic milk containers for
recycling.  The public was told it was difficult, if not impossible, to
remove residue from the plastic.  I was told the plastic was somewhat
porous and that gases from spoiled milk actually permeated the material.

Now, several years later, plastic milk containers are accepted for
recycling use in, among other things structural wood substitutes, compost
bins and the like.

Whether the plastic in the containers had changed or the technology
employed in processing recycled plastics, I don't know.  It is still
almost impossible to rid an empty milk jug of the odor of spoiled milk.
Unless the containers are "virgin," I would hesitate to market honey in
them.  I would also seek the manufacturer's recommendation for cleaning
new containers before packing honey in them.

This advice is worth just about what you've paid for it.

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Bob & Liz wrote:

> I like many other beekeepers sell gallons in the same container as milk
> comes in. They are all my supplier sells.

Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, Raw Honey                | leave our kids a decent place to live.