Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 01:03:37 +0100
Stan,
The description is like E.F.B.
The larvae could be described as looking like they have an acute attack
of the stomach ache!- changing colour from the usual pearly sheen to
creamy, slight pale yellow/green tinge, contorting into unnatural
positions.

Also if they are A.F.B. scales then under a U.V. SOURCE they apparently
glow.

Scales, haven't seen any scales before, maybe it is to do with the
plastic comb+lousy cleaners.
If that's the case, change the strain of bee to a "hygienic" type(
should help clear the problem with chalk brood - little problem over
here, genetic base of our queens in general still shows traits of
resistance to this problem)
Plastic comb- that I have had no experience at all - still using the old
wax foundation. It seems to me that if wax is used, then disease may be
limited by regular changes of wax - I am supposing that one is less
likely to throw plastic frames away.

Regarding the scales, I presume (dangerous I know!) that they are not a
source of contamination once the medium they depend upon for their
nutrition(living bee larval tissue) has been removed.

What are the group's thoughts on this?
Regards
Peter