Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:39:07 -0500
I have an interesting challenge.  A local nature center has a very nice observation hive that I have help them with for about 20 years.  At first we were able to have reasonable success with overwintering the colony.  In recent years we have often lost the colony late fall or in the winter.  The symptoms lead me to believe it is PMS.  The colony provides no simple means of sampling for mites and even if I knew the mite levels, I have no simple means of treating.  Has anyone else on the list met this challenge and succeeded?  We will repopulate the hive in spring 2017 and hope to develop a system to control the varroa.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL