From:
Mike Rossander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:23:35 -0800
AFB spores are highly heat-resistant.  (Burnside, 1940, The thermal resistance of Bacillus larvae, J Econ Entomol 33, 39-408)

  Honey, on the other hand, is not.  Heating honey to the point necessary to kill AFB spores will carmelize the honey.  Fructose carmelizes at 110C (230F).  Glucose and sucrose carmelize at 160C (320F).

  Carmelized honey will kill the bees.  I don't remember the exact biological mechanism by which carmelized honey kills the bees but I'm know it's in the BEE-L archives.

  Straight sugar-water has been proven to be better for the bees for winter feeding and is effective at stimulating egglaying.  The study proving that is also in the archives.

  Mike Rossander

Mike Rossander