From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:30:46 EDT
<<<<  I
 don't have a strong hive to put it on, due to a major pesticide kill three
 weeks ago which left my bees badly weakened. >>

Robert,

That is a rarity nowadays in the UK.  What have you done about it?

Chris>>

    Nothing really; the deaths stopped after a downpour, and I haven't had
any more problems. I've been pretty puzzled by this myself, it's an urban
situation, with no wide-area spraying going on. I do have a sneaking
suspicion that it could have been sabotage, as I've been having major
problems with another plotholder on the site. It only seemed to be affecting
one colony which was odd, if it was a normal kill, but noting seems to fit
apart from pesticide; it certainly wasn't robbing. Hopefully I've now stopped
that by building a fence which will make it extremely difficult for them to
get in, and putting up a notice threatening to expose them publicly if it
goes on. They've hardly been seen since that went up so it appears to have
scared them. I just hope there are no repetitions.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham UK