Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2019 01:25:07 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
"Brought into conventional management they show no "resistance".  Correct me if I am mistaken."

I think it's not that they don't show resistance but more they can not cope when placed in a conventional management environment.  There appears to be several factors involved that allows those bees to thrive in their wild state. Conventional beekeeping takes away some of those bees defences. Seeley discusses 21 differences of comparisons of the environments in which honey bee colonies have lived as wild colonies and those in which they live currently as managed colonies. They may have importance.

I don't agree with allowing colonies to crash because mite loads get out of control but I also disagree with multiple prophylactic treatments.   

I live in a location that has small scale to hobbyists with the density not very high. There are keepers within easy flying distance from my yards. As far as I know all treat but maybe not. I also live in a location the has the highest mortality rate annually throughout the province. I'm guessing that a % of those are crashing before winter sets in. Using a form of what Seeley calls Darwinian beekeeping ( not exactly as what he puts forth are suggestions of change) it is rare that I have the need to use treatments. When I do it is basically to put a colony down. Not always to out right kill the colony but rather to remove the brood or brood break with a treatment then requeen with extra queens I keep on hand. I'm starting to wonder if there is much more to bee health than having just VSH and hygienic bees, not that it isn't important. 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2