From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:08:37 -0500
Hello Phil & All,
I personally do not see the need for GM technology applied to honey bees.
All the traits you describe allready exist in honey bees and only need to be
brought out through selective breeding.  I (unlike many beekeepers and
researchers) believe the gene pool is to small in the U.S. and now that we
have got tracheal mites and varroa importations of queens from other
countries should be allowed within reason.  Beekeepers which took many of
the world beekeeping tours offered over the last decade report bees with
qualities which would improve our U.S. stocks.  Although all traits can be
bred for, using a queen which allready has those traits in your breeding
program shortens the process.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. Glad somebody is getting a holiday!  High moisture content honey is
causing a huge slow down in processing the midwest honey crop. Even sealed
honey is testing a moisture content over 19.5 % in many  cases.