From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 17:48:00 -0500
Hello All,
If some of last years CCD problems were drought related in many areas it
seems the situation is setting up again in the west ( and southeast). Early
reports
say many bee pastures have burned up from north to south in the west.

 In severe drought conditions its hard to fool the bees into brooding up. We
started early last year ( August) feeding pollen patties (real pollen) and
light syrup to encourage the bees to raise winter bees. We got about half
the brood we would normally get.

My heart goes out to my fellow beekeepers in California and adjoining
states.You are getting what the Midwest got last year. Fall flowers will be
short.

We are getting rains as needed once a week and the prospect for a strong
fall flow will soon be reality. With a strong fall flow the bees ignore for
the most part corn pollen. Also tend to really brood up.

The southeast is getting what the Midwest got last year also. Early reports
are very poor honey crops and prospects for fall flows getting dimmer by the
week.
One county in Georgia reported the driest year in 85 years.

In our area looks like we are seeing a second bloom of white Dutch brought
about by the huge amount of rain in a short time followed by temps in the 90
F. and high humidity. We get a big rain then 5-7 days of dry weather
(perfect for honey production)

If temperature extremes continue in the U.S. then migratory beekeepers need
to act fast to move bees into areas of bloom. Staying in an area of severe
drought can have many problems which can last into the next season.

In California once the bee pasture has burned up then without heavy rains
the fall flowers will not be there for the bees. Our fall rains last year
were simply not enough to provide fall bee pasture.

Can those in areas of drought report to the list what they are seeing with
their bees?

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--