From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:35:58 -0600
Hello All,
I am not an expert on Almond pollination  but I believe I can answer these
questions.

Chuck wrote:
"In preparation for the bloom, beekeepers spent the latter half of January
moving colonies into staging areas throughout the region and as the month
ended, the first hives began to move into orchards planted to the earliest
blooming varieties."

Right before the move into the orchards California beekeepers gather the
hives into holding areas so they can devote the time to putting the hives
into Almonds when the signal comes to move the hives in. We do the same
thing for all crops we pollinate.

Chuck wrote:
The ABJ reported in the February 2004 issue that early reports of
pollination fees have been averaging near the $50.00 per colony level; I
have been hearing more like $60.00 and up, up, up! Does anyone know of
actual contracted prices?

Around 50 is about right. I was offered higher two days ago if the bees were
on location in California in a week!

Five days left and the whole west is snow and ice but email me direct if
interested in filling his pollination contract and I will send the contact
information. He asked for 1700 *strong* hives.

Small growers are paying the higher fees. The same goes for other fruits
etc. If you order half a truck load you pay a higher fee. Has always been
the way.

The guys which are showing up in California with hives not yet contracted to
growers are indeed getting big prices as from what I am hearing a shortage
exists this season. However if they do not find a rental they have trucked
their hives to California and back at considerable expense!

California Almond pollination is certainly a learning experience for out of
state beekeepers. Enough said!

Of the two of my associates which took bees to Almonds last year only one is
sending bees this year.

We are loading the first semi tomorrow after the snow storm ends around
noon. The hives are sitting ready to be loaded now and the driver is enroute
with chains on. We will use a bobcat to clear the snow out of the loading
area. If I get time I will take pictures and email to Allen and maybe he
will post on his diary site.

I have been involved in most areas of beekeeping but this is a first time
for loading a semi of bee hives in a snow storm!

On the brighter side the truck which is coming to load on Friday will be
easier as the roads should be in better shape.

The Almond growers are waiting on these bees so we can't let a little thing
like a blizzard and ice packed roads get in the way.

These are *not* my bees so the worse thing that might happen to me is I slip
and fall on the ice or from the top of the semi putting on a net or get cold

A fellow beekeeper from North Dakota told me on the phone to quit
complaining and start loading as what we are going through happens several
times each year when sending bees from North Dakota to Almonds.

Bob