From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2011 19:12:43 -0400
I love the drone vs swallow vs cat image...maybe a few dragonflies in
there trying to pick off drones and queens?

Seriously, tho, this brings to mind the question of genetic diversity in
the bee yard, essential to well-mated queens especially if multiple
generations are expected.  Plus you want bees selected for disease and
pest resistance, etc.  I cheat, I'm pretty isolated and the few
surrounding beekeepers and ferals are also products of importing only
resistant bees of various stocks for almost 15 years. I've always
wondered if I happened to set up near a DCA: I have way better luck with
matings than I probably deserve, if the weather gives us half a chance.

Carolyn in McCormick County, SC