From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:41:55 -0500
C Hooper wrote:

> Honey has been shown to give good results on a very wide range of types
> of wounds and it is therefore mystifying that there appears to be a lack
> of universal acceptance of honey as a wound dressing...
As one who has twice used honey for wound dressing under a Doctor's
observation (after my hand operations), I think the reason is simple-
application.

Unless you know what you are doing and are dedicated to doing it
correctly, the use of honey is a pain compared to ointments and other
antibiotic commercial medications, such as Neosporin or its cheaper
clones. Honey does more than them and heals faster, but think about the
difference of containing the honey over the wound, extensive dressing,
more changes of dressing, and the mess of seeping honey sticking to
everything in the universe and one can easily prefer the quick, easy and
cheap alternative.

I did add cheap, because even though the honey may be free, the
additional dressings are not. Neosporin may not even require a dressing
for some wounds. And almost all drug stores sell the clone for half or
less the price.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine