From:
Mike Allsopp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:26:39 +0200
Greetings all

Without getting too involved in the debate concerning the merits of
smaller cell size in the control of varroa, I think that I should report
that the worker foundation used here in South Africa has a
diameter of approximately 4.9 mm - and that so far varroa has
shown itself to be very capable of reproduction in these worker
cells, the short post-capping time of African bees notwithstanding.

Probably the best source of information on comb building by
honeybees is Randall Hepburn's book "Honeybees & Wax",
published in 1986. In this he reports that the cell diameter of
"natural" African honeybee comb is 4.9 mm, and that the minimum
acceptable diameter is 4.8 mm. Hence, we are using the correct
wax foundation for our bees, they will not accept a smaller
diameter, and the cell size at present does not prevent varroa
reproduction.

European bees on the other hand have an average cell diameter of
5.7 mm (according to Hepburn), but are extremely variable. It would
probably be possible to reduce this considerably (which would also
probably have considerable and negative pleiotropic effects), but
surely not as much as 4.9 mm or beyond.

best regards

Mike Allsopp
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Mike Allsopp                            tel    (27)(21) 887-4690
Honeybee Research Section               fax    (27)(21) 883-3285
Plant Protection Research Institute     pmail  plant3/vredma
Agricultural Research Council           email  [log in to unmask]
P/Bag X5017
Stellenbosch 7599
South Africa