From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:53:56 -0700
On Sun, 7 Aug 101, Mike Tooley wrote:

>   I have been watching this non-native plant debate with interest for a few
> years now,first with yellow star thistle ,now with purple loosestrife.
> Just count me in the 'let nature take its course'group.

I think it's a matter of what you consider "natural."

The problem with non-native invaders like Purple Loosestrife, Star
Thistle, ScotchBroom and others is that they have been transported long
distances without the accompaniment of the conditions or predators which
keep them under control in their original range.

If they are allowed to thrive in new ranges, they can (and do) overwhelm
native species on which other plants and animals depend.

A couple of examples in the NW USA are Scotch Broom and English Ivy.  The
former grows quickly in meagre soils, seeds profusely (the seeds can be
viable for decades) and overwhelm anything but established trees which are
already taller than the Scotchbroom will ever grow.

English Ivy climbs trees of all kinds and will overwhelm them with, if
nothing else, the weight of its attractive, waxy leafed self.  Both plants
are capable of replacing native species which underlie the ecology of this
area.

Then recall Kudzu and the havoc it is still causing in areas it was
introduced, first in the Southern US.

I'd suggest that deliberate introduction of non-native species over great
distances is anything but mother nature at work; that one of the purposes
of our industry is to assist the methods of natural pollination which may
not be adequate for mono-cropping industrial farming practices; and that
one of the charms of honey production is the regional production of unique
honeys based on what grows naturally in your neck of the woods.

Now to get back into the new woodlot to remove a couple of acres of scotch
broom which threatens to kill off the three year old Douglas Fir. :(

Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, Raw Honey                | leave our kids a decent place to live.