Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 02:36:02 GMT
I like Kirk Webster's (of Vermont) approach to sustainable beekeeping in the north.  The man may not live in a McMansion - and only a shallow fool would want to - but he does make a enjoyable living from the bees.

Without Fed or EU subsidies and tarrifs Big Ag in North America and Europe would have to compete with lower cost, often more sustainable farmers from other continents.  The poor farmers from other countries resist terminator seeds, GMO trash, and synthetic chemicals of all sorts.  God bless them and keep them (until the artificial subsidies in the West subside).

My view is: if the Amish can make a wholesome living with their basic/sustainable methods then that's just dandy.  Big Ag does not impress me one bit.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY