From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:01:44 EDT
Allen Dick writes:

<  Others worldwide are finding that in a few generations they can reduce the
varroa
<populations by 50% simply by selection from their existing stocks>

    This is hopeful news; where can I learn more? If this is true, then
either the bees are developing a degree of resistance, or the most virulent
strains of varroa are disappearing, or both. At a guess, I would imagine the
first is most likely to be true, because we know that bees are genetically
very variable, while a lot of arthropods and similar organisms are not, if
what I have heard is true. Sorry, I don't have a source for that.

    Is there more information on the cell size used by different races
available anywhere? I currently have Italian/British black hybrids; I may
change to British black. I believe the old black bees used in the States were
similar to the German heath bee; is it true that these were inferior to the
British type?

<* First, he saw that a mite had been reproducing there.  That means that as
<beekeepers, we can examine our brood comb and actually see what the mites are
<doing if we are patient.  We can even compare mite activity on different
combs
<if we have several different brands of foundation in use.  We can also
examine
<emerging bees to see how many mites come out with them, if any.  Does the
type
<of comb make a difference?  What about the type of bee?>

    This is really interesting, only I have a problem. I am unable to see
eggs, small larvae or varroa with my glasses on, and I cannot see anything
properly through a veil without them. My bees are rather dodgy-tempered, so I
don't want to go without the veil. Does anyone have any answer to this?

Regards,

Robert Brenchley