From:
"Lehr, Carl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:01:25 -0400
	This spring, we got 3 Buckfast packages from the Weavers.  Thus far, they have drawn a lot of comb and built up their numbers with extraordinary speed. However, they have become so hot that they are now "untouchable" and I mean, untouchable in full beekeeping coveralls wearing a Sheriff's bee veil and leather gloves.
	My wife and I have been stung through our protection on our forearms and legs, through our pants with amazingly strange ferocity.  We walked away to almost 300 yards and remained for about 40-45 minutes and still had two groups of fierce bees buzzing on the way back to our vehicle.  We've never had bees that wouldn't leave you in 50-100 feet much less 300 yards and yes, we've washed all of our protection between three different visits.
	None of our other bees have been affected and remain as docile as a lamb but we are to the point of having to decide whether to destroy these bees or leave them alone till winter.
	While we realize that all we have to do is "requeen"; the problem is being able to get into the hive long enough to find the queen and dispatch her.  We really don't want to destroy the bees but we are deeply concerned that we've inadvertently been sent bees with African-type tendencies.  Is this possible or are we being paranoid? Any help/recommendations/advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated and save our Buckfasts from an untimely/unnecessary demise.

	PS: For those who have inquired off Bee-L; our feral hive/queen have adapted to our Langstroth hives very well and are building magnificent comb with Queenie laying eggs corner to corner.  As such, we intend to keep her as long as she lasts for our own research purposes.  Thanks for your inquiries.

Dave and Kristi Lehr
Westminster, Maryland