From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2019 14:45:13 -0500
>Is it ethical for a migratory beekeeper to overwinter 200 colonies immediately adjacent to an existing apiary owned by a local beekeeper without permission or even consultation?  It’s legal, but is it ethical?  Peter A

>Yes, we make a lot of money in almonds, but we earn every penny! Randy

This topic has been spread over several threads and I believe we would do well to consider all the ramifications of the almond phenomenon and migratory locations generally. I approach the topic with trepidation to say the least! For quite a few years I sent my bees to almonds from WA state. Starting at $25 and ending at just over $100. I have always considered honey production my main goal but was happy for the income. I am now "retired" and keep around 50 colonys for honey only.

The large commercial operations around me have grown exponentially in recent years with the ever increasing almond acreage. For most, almond pollination accounts for half or more of their annual income. What used to be summer honey locations have become holding yards and feed lots stocked at 200 colonys where the honey only reduces the feed cost. Without almonds these colonys would not exist. I have lost formally very productive locations, that admittedly I have no legal claim to, as they move in on me. It still hurts and I feel wounded. The commercial guys are providing for their family and giving employment to others.

What are the ethical issues here?

Does the almond industry bear any responsibility for where the pollinating colonys go the rest of the year?

Another topic is invasive and noxious weeds. Many of our most productive species are considered noxious or invasive by the state dept of ag and local weed boards. In an attempt to eradicate yellow starthistle we have a local taxing district (that I pay) that supplements the expense of landowners to aerially spray many thousands of acres of range and the state sprays more on public lands. The agents used are a cocktail of 2-4-D, Picloram, and Tordon. These are wide spectrum broad leaf herbicides that have long ground residuals, up to 48 months, and kill everything but grass. The benefit is to improve cattle graze. The loss is not only the target noxious weeds but all beneficial flowering forage for bees and wild life.

Where or is there any balance? Eradication is in my mind not possible. Should we allow noxious or invasive but beneficial forage on non grazing lands? I participated on a legislative work group tasked with making recommendations of how to improve conditions for bees and beekeepers in WA that tried to address these questions. We wrote a 65 page report that resulted in nothing. I know that it is a national and indeed global issue. What say you all?

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA