From:
Donald V Israel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 12:28:58 -0600
Frank Humphrey wrote:

> Here in Southeast Tennesee USA,  we had temperatures in the high 60's and
> low 70's with lots of sun.  I took that occasion to check some of my hives
> I found that some are not only rearing brood but actually have drones in
> the hive.

Yes as a matter of fact, but they are in a very weak hive. I put bees in
a shallow super with pulled wax in Aug and gave them their original
suoer of stores in poor honey comb. The queen moved up into the super
instead of laying in the nice home i gave her to lay in. I Dont know why
she laid drones.

I took the bees from a hollow log  that i had set up with a plexiglass
panel installed so I could view them, But I did a poor job and lost the
queen. I requeened but thought she was bad because I could find no
brood. I requeened again and could find no brood. That is when I
inspected and found brood in the honey super. There are plenty of
bees(about two or three pounds) and they are bringing in pollan on warm
days. I put the honey super on the bottom in hopes she will move up when
the honey flow starts.

I made a real mess out of this one but with the help of the bees and
nature, I believe they will make it.

Hobbist in North Carolina
Don