From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2019 10:05:55 -0800

> >What used to be summer honey locations have become holding yards and feed
> lots stocked at 200 colonys where the honey only reduces the feed cost.
> Without almonds these colonys would not exist.

 This is exactly the problem that we are trying to address in our county.
IMHO, the demands of the almond industry are one of the worst things to
happen to beekeeping.  I say that as I send three more truckloads of hives
off this morning.

> >In an attempt to eradicate yellow starthistle we have a local taxing
> district (that I pay) that supplements the expense of landowners to
> aerially spray many thousands of acres of range and the state sprays more
> on public lands.

In my area of California, biocontrol insects were introduced, which quickly
reduced Yellow Starthistle from a pest species that had taken over all non
irrigated pastureland, to scattered patches, that now fit into the
environment.  Such dynamic "balances" are likely the best long-term
solution.  Yes, we don't make much thistle honey any more, but in every
other way, both the human community and the environment benefitted.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA