From:
"James W. Hock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:26:39 -0500
>            Am looking for suggestions on methods best suited for a someone
> trying to raise perhaps a dozen queens for the first time.  I am
> overwhelmed
> by the amount of information out there.

Don't be, it really isn't that complicated.  I tried grafting for the first
time last year with improvised tools and failed.  I broke down and ordered a
grafting tool.  By the time it showed up in the mail I had the whole thing
figured out.  I raised 11 queens last year with out any special equipment
and little effort.

Wait until you see drones are flying.  Set up your nucs with two empty
frames, one frame of honey, one frame of emerging brood and one frame with
pollen and eggs.  All frames go in with the nurse bees attached.  The
emerging brood is going to gobble up your pollen, so you need to add a
little pollen substitute and some kind of syrup feeder.  They don't need
much.  In the beginning, they will not have a lot of foragers, the older
bees will fly back to the parent hive.  They will need a little feed boost.

The bees take care of the rest.  It takes 16 days to raise a queen from an
egg.  It takes a total of 27 days to raise a laying queen from an egg.

During this time you should leave them alone.  But you won't.  :)  In a few
days that frame with eggs should have a dozen (more or less) queen cells on
it.  The bees will abort some.  The strongest virgin queen should kill off
the weaker queens.  Some times the bees fail, most of the time they don't.
If they don't like the new queen, they may supersede her with her own eggs.
It is always a good thing to have some spare queens.

There is a little maintenance involved.  A new queen lays like crazy.  She
will always need some empty comb to lay in.  When one of her frames start to
emerge, it really fills out a nuc.  You will need to bring some capped brood
back to the parent colony once in a while.

Housing became a problem for me.  I had a bank incident where the nurse bees
rejected all but one queen, I lost four queens that way.  They just refused
to feed them.  I started a double queen hive, just to house queens.  I had
no real plan to start a new hive.  The bees had other ideas.  It really did
well in the middle of that drought and it is my strongest hive now.  I
combined it in late August to a single queen hive.

After I required in August.  I left two nucs to fend for themselves.  They
raised new queens again and survived the winter with little help from me.
So far, all my hives are doing well with out hard chemicals.

Kirk Webster came to speak to us at Backyard Beekeepers.  He has got a lot a
great ideas.  Right now, I am weaning my hives out of deeps and into
mediums.  I'm going to go all mediums.  Hive bodies, supers, nucs,
everything.  First because my back can't handle the deeps and second so
every frame is interchangeable.  I'm making Kirk's style nucs by dividing
mediums with division feeders, to step up my output.  I'll be doing more
with less.  I am going to take another crack at grafting, just for the fun
of it.

If I keep this up, I'm going to need an outyard!  I'm working on a home page
with pictures of all this.  Watch for the post.

Jim Hock
Wethersfield, CT