From:
Anne Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 07:29:30 -0500
At 11:36 PM -0500 11/7/06, Joe Hayles wrote:

>A friend just gave me several gallons of very old honey. It is dark and
>very strong tasting. Is it safe to feed it to the colonies over winter?

Joe,

I am a new beekeeper and wondered about feeding honey to my bees, as
it seemed "more natural" than sugar syrup. I was advised never to
feed honey from other hives (including store-bought honey) back to
colonies because it can introduce American Foulbrood spores to your
colony. I don't know how likely this actually is, but considering the
possible consequences, I have decided not to do it. Sorry to be
negative, but it's something to factor into your decision.

I look forward to responses from others on the list.

Regards,
Anne in PA

--
Anne Brennan