From:
John E III Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 16:32:16 GMT
Mike Stoops writes, in part:

> Not really positive of my chemistry in the medicine Sulfa, but I do
> believe it is a derivitive of the basic compound sulfer.

    Yes, Mike, there _is_ sulfur in such Sulfa drugs as sulfanilimide for
instance, but there's nitrogen in there too, and carbon and oxygen.  When
they're combined into a chemical compound like that, none of them behaves as it
does when it's an uncombined element.  Elemental sulfur has some mild pesticidal
properties on a few species (I seem to recall some fungicidal activity, but
don't have my Merck Manual with me today), but the levels at which it is active
are several orders of magnitude above that for sulfa-type materials.

John E. Taylor III     W3ZID   |"The opinions expressed are those of the
E-mail: [log in to unmask]    | author and not of Rohm and Haas Company"