From:
Humdinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:22:36 -0500
Slightly off the topic,

Bee Folks,

Among other classes, I have been teaching “Research Methods” classes at
the university level, and discover how the Internet contributes to *mis-
and dis –information* while trying to *help* the information-seekers,
reminding me that “The road to hell is, indeed, paved with favors.”
Although ever-increasing numbers of web sites, especially those affiliated
with research universities and government-funded institutes, are credible,
I QUESTION many other sources that claim this expertise or that
authority.

For example, I would not accept everything that’s been said even in this
thread in blind faith.  Type, for instance, *Canola oil* in Google.com and
see the plethora of *scientific data* that loudmouth the harmful
ingredients in it, let alone the blatant jingoism that insists “Canada”
+ “Oil” should be banned.  A Joe Sixpack who happens to own a website can
CLAIM that he SAW, flesh and blood, Elvis in a Shawnee garage, and an
Elvis fan can quote this in his *research* paper in an extreme case.  Is
there any one lately abducted by a UFO?   Any gynecological examination?
I tend to believe, first, latest books, articles and papers, in that
order, and finally a few good web sites.

Simply put, if you are somebody in your area of concentration, you will
present papers in national/international conferences, and when people in
your area find your articles cogent, then you may be able to publish in a
book form.  This whole process is so arduous, especially since an
*original* idea is really hard to come by these days, that not many can
write a decent article, let alone books.  Of course, I did not mention
those *researches* where a private sector pours in money to bake a cake
and eat it, too.  Let us tread this thread light-footed.

FWIW

Hum