From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 21:54:28 -0500
“In no case is an animal activity to be interpreted in terms of higher
psychological processes, if it can be fairly interpreted in terms of
processes which stand lower in the scale of psychological evolution and
development.” C. Loyd Morgan

    Right, so it becomes a matter of interpretation of what you are
observing, doesn’t it?  There are always lots of ways to explain things.
Since all behavior exists on a continuum from simple to complex, any point
along that continuum can be instructive of any other point.  In other words
bee behavior, which is not exactly simple, can provide some measure of
insight into behavior in higher forms and visa versa, especially when
examined at the physiological level.   As a whole the psychology of Human
behavior may be orders of magnitude more complex than that of the
next “highest” animal, but there are mechanisms in operation at the lowest
level that are just as complex, or just as simple if you will, as similar
mechanisms in humans.  These mechanisms (please don’t ask me to name
any ;>)) are building blocks of more complex behavior mechanisms and the
more complex they are the more potential they hold for analogies to aspects
of human behavior.
    There is an assumption in some circles that the behavioral
characteristics of humans, their psychological and intellectual capacities;
those things which distinguish them from all other organisms, somehow make
them superior to all other forms in some God-like manner. I read the news
and I am not convinced.  We are all made of the same stuff.  So lets not
kid ourselves by assuming in a dogmatic fashion, what “disciples” of Morgan
would have us assume, that there is no human analogous psychological
phenomenon going on in the rest of the animal world.  That would be an
interpretation which, if taken as undisputable fact, could become dogma in
the wrong hands, and might lead to something like hubris in science.

Steve Noble (Fuzzy peach)