From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:35:42 -0500
Hello All,
I have been seeing a fungi growing and ruining hive tops in several yards.
The fungi is orange in color and eats up the wood.

The tops ( migratory) most effected came from Mann Lake about three years
ago. My partner and I both placed a alrge order when the lids went on sale.
He has had no trouble with his lids. I can't believe I am seeing the problem
over such a large area.

Does the list know what I am dealing with? What i might do to save the other
tops?

I am in the process of buying a large amount of cedar tops from a beekeeper
going out of business so I could exchange those tops with the fungi tops and
maybe add a new coat of copper naph to the fungi tops. I would almost bet
the fungi tops have been copper naph coated but could be wrong as I do not
record those things and do not do the painting around the place.  I have
never had or seen the fungi problem in other beekeepers apiairies before.
Thanks to the list in advance!

I try to copper napth everything new but sometimes equipment slips by with
only a primer coat and two top coats.

The fungi finally grows out the side of the top in a orange half mushroom
affair.

Hive tops literally come off in pieces in the last stages.

We have had three dry years for the most part but have been wet the last few
weeks.

Bob