Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
To: "Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee
Biology" <[log in to unmask]>
References:  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re:      [BEE-L] bee trucks and loaders
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:41:38 -0400

Hi,
here in Quebec the regulations for trucks are fairly strict and if your are overloaded and caught then it costs a lot of  money. My peference is for a truck that is really made for the load you need to carry. The ¾ ton and 1 ton trucks have capacities of around 6,000 lbs. or 100 fairly full supers.  If you keep within these limits then the vehicle is still safe to drive and you shouldn't damage the the mechanics. The new ones have much more powerful engines to match.  The ezyloaders are still available; I have sold a good few in this province. On my Inter I have an old Payne loader which works well but requires a swinging circle of 48 feet!!  It's for sale!

A Bobcat or Swinger is a much more versatile creature and allows you not to take the risk of getting stuck with the truck. Leave the truck on the hard surface and run the hives in with the lift. I have a small ¾ 4WD for light work and a small Inter low profile (c/w air suspension) for moving bees and the honey crop. If you can do some mechanics you can buy s/h and save. I
paid CAN$16,000 for the Inter. Which is a lot less than some of the "one tons" on the market. It also turns tighter than my ¾  4WD pick-up.  4 WD often means that you get stuck further in the field! They are also costly on drive train components, and usually have no differential between the axles which induces "wind-up" which is great on the drive train!  Another case for an Inter is that the parts often cost less than for pick-ups and have a longer life span.  Mine has over 350,000 kms. and still in reasonable shape.

If you need more info you can contact me direct.

Peter

> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Bill Lord"
> > I am interested in other people's opinions and
> >  experiences with bee trucks and loaders.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2