From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:06:11 -0500
Barry pointed out that if brood is not raised in supers, there will not be a
problem with wax moths.  That is interesting and something I think I heard
or read many years ago and forgot.  (In the two years I have been on Bee-L,
I don't think it has come up, but I might be incorrect.)  This is good
information, and I appreciate it being raised.
The only production of honey for extraction that I am personally familiar
with, and this covers many beekeepers, does not involve the use of
excluders.  These are all beekeepers in the northern part of the country.
After extraction they let bees rob the web combs and then leave them outside
without covers until frost.  Wax moth will not bother combs exposed to
sunlight.  After frost they are moved into an unheated barn or shed for the
winter, and suffer no moth damage as long as they are put back on hives in
early spring...well before dandelions bloom.

I can well understand that in more southern climates different wax moth
control would be necessary and believe that Barry's practices would be of
real benefit there as well as in other circumstances.

Lloyd
Email [log in to unmask]
Owner, Ross Rounds(tm), the finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com