Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:46:08 GMT
>>old water tank... a couple thousand bees on the outside this noon-
time, fanning.

In a fairly strong colony, a good portion of the workers will go
outside to help keep the temp inside within a reasonable range. They

>>are even doing the waggle dance, also on the outside.

Possibly to indicate a water source so more of it can be brought back
to help cool the nest.

>>Question- how could I get the bees and comb out of there, or even
just save the queen and enough workers to start a nuc?

Is the bees' entrance hole large enough to get your arm inside?  If
not, is cutting an access hole - about 8 in. diameter is big enough
to get your entire arm inside - the tank an option?  A Lenox blade
and a reciprocating saw would help nicely.  The cut-out piece can be
welded back on in a few minutes.

Bee vac most of the bees through the access hole.  If you can reach
them, gently push any remaining bees on the outside comb out of the
way so you can get your bare fingers around it.  If you do this
slowly, moving your fingers in and out, the bees will give way and
not sting.  Once you have a grip on the comb tug it side to side and
front to back to weaken its anchoring.  The comb may rip or you may
have to cut it so it can be taken out through the access hole.

Repeat the procedure for all remaining combs.

I've also heard that drumming will eventually drive the workers and
the queen out where you can collect them with a bee vac.  This will
leave the brood and honey behind.

Or you can spray a bee repellant (Bee-Quick or Bee Gone) at the
opposite end from the entrance hole.  If the vapor concentration get
high enough, the bees and the queen should come out.

Good luck!

Waldemar
Long Island, NY