From:
Kent Stienburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:17:50 -0400
Hey Everybody,

I've kept bees for quite some time but this is the first I've had a hive so
aggressive that they actually drove me away.  Made the hive this spring from
queens that I bought from Hawiaii.  Carniolans to be exact.  They start to
defend the hive 10 meters away.  Yesterday, I was a reversing some supers to
get ready to extract this weekend and they went nuts. I returned once I
retreated to obtain gloves. I've had skunk problems, sudden flow stoppages
and just plain bad weather issues before but nothing that compares to this.
When I walked back in the field this afternoon to check them I was met with
a few bees over 30 meters from the hive. Since I was in shorts I retreated
:)  It has built up impressivly.  Five supers on, the best out of the rest
of the hives.  There is no outside interference at all such as vandelism, no
visual indication that anything would be out of the norm. The other hives
are fine.  I'm going to requeen ASAP but has anyone else seen an increase in
this?   I'm in south eastern Ontario Canada.  Thanks

Kent