Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:56:17 GMT
>>The entrance is about 8 feet up, maybe 4x6 inches.

I've removed entire nests through openings this size.  The shape,
size, and the extent of a nest is unpredictable but you can remove
pretty much any comb within an arm's reach inside a tree.  One needs
to break up the combs inside the tree to a size that will pass
through the opening...  As one gently pushes the bees out of the way
to secure a hold on a comb, one does get occasionally get stung on
the fingers... Of course, that's therapeutic... :))  Use plenty of
smoke and take your time.

I've never had to 'cone out' a colony out of a tree but I am pretty
sure you won't get the queen.  And you have to make several trips.

Another approach is to drill a couple of 1/8"-1/4" dia. holes about
12"-24" apart in the vertical direction on the back side of the tree
and squirt in BeeQuick or Honeybee Robber.  If you hit at the limits
of the nest, you may drive all the bees out.  Then you bee vac the
bees and can cut and take out the combs.  A tree will typically seal
up 1/8"-1/4" holes without a problem.

I place feral combs that have brood, eggs, pollen, and honey on an
excluder over an inner cover.  The queen and the bees go into the box
below.  As feral combs become empty - the bees will even eat out the
pollen in a few weeks - I put them into my solar wax melter.  To me,
this is the most comprehensive way to save a feral colony.

It's getting late in the season but, with feeding, you should be able
to overwinter this colony.  It's worth a try.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY