From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:28:01 -0600
Mike said:
It might not be illegal, but it is definitely bad practice.  This is a major
contributor to the acceleration of resistance.
You may elect not to treat but if you treat at all, FOLLOW THE LABEL!

I was referring to the spraying in my orchard and not treatment of pests of
honey bees. Fellow orchard owners listen carefully as I have a lifetime of
experience in small orchards.

About pesticide sprays for orchards if not growing "organic".

1. When using IPM methods you identify the problem pest first.

Many (if not most) large orchards spray to kill all insects which are in the
area of the orchard  good or bad!

2. Then if chemical use is needed you choose (in my opinion) a chemical to
use which will kill the problem pest but not every insect in the orchard!

About every label you look at covers many insect pests. Many insects are
hard to kill and others very easy. I have found even the mildest orchard
pesticide like spectricide can be used at half dose and with proper timing
will kill many of the pests on the label. Found out by listening to other
orchard owners and trial and error.

Saves money, helps the beneficial insects and is a better choice for the
spray applicators health.

After a couple decades  as an organic grower and now doing IPM I still hate
to use a chemical (even one time) which not only kills all the bad pests but
the beneficial insects as well.

I have been told by employees of chemical companies that the formula in a
pesticide with a broad label such as "Home orchard Spray"  is formulated to
kill the hardest to control insect on the label in the worst of weather
conditions AND THEN many pesticide companies recommend higher than necessary
dosage in order to sell more of the product (kind of like lather twice on a
shampoo bottle).

Careful monitoring of a beehive or orchard is necessary if you choose to use
IPM methods instead of blanket treating with a harsh chemical.

Careful testing after IPM treatment beehive  and observing in the orchard
will tell if a stronger chemical approach  is necessary.

The U.S.D.A. actually recommends IPM rather than blanket spraying with harsh
chemicals but weekly spraying with harsh pesticides will produce beautiful
crops while my methods could involve extra labor ,extra treatments and at
times crop failure.

One of my best friends (non deceased) followed the harsh chemical and
commonly used spray programs of the larger apple orchards . He lived one
year after diagnoses of a type of throat cancer linked to apple orchard
growers.

Resistance to chemicals happen with all chemicals sooner or later regardless
of the dose.

Having returned from networking with my many friends in the "organic"
movement I noticed even the word chemical when used caused a reaction like I
had said a four letter word.

Bob