From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:57:55 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

Curious  if anyone in the group knows; is it possible to determine Nosema
Apis vs.  Nosema Ceranae by just using a microscope?

At the Central Science Laboratory at York (where they ought to have their
eye in) they send samples to their PCR machine for confirmation of what they
 think they see. It would be a lot easier if the microspores lay flat and
even  but foreshortening can for example make Na look like Nc.

I helped run a one day microscopy course in Wiltshire last year for members
 of the Irish List and friends and we used samples of both kindly provided
by the  CSL.

We are toying with the idea of running a repeat day or maybe a change of
subject but there seems to be little demand so far.

Chris