From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2016 07:15:48 -0700
Interesting comments on weed eaters.  I spend many dozens of hours weed
whacking my 40+ yards (typ. 24-28 hives, set on the ground) each spring and
early summer.  I use Stihl 2-stroke weed whackers and noisy square line,
but unless I am actually hitting the hives (especially the entrances) with
the rotating lines, I observe no defensive behavior by the bees.

I only observe colony defensiveness when there is physical impact of either
the string or weed stems against the hive, again most observable when the
disturbance is at the entrance.

In order to avoid needing to put on a veil, I typically whack all weeds
between the hives in the entire apiary first, avoiding contact with hive
entrances (but gently brushing hive backs and sides).  When that is all
done, I quickly whack all the entrances, starting with the farthest hive,
and working back towards the exit, clearing each entrance with one swipe,
and quickly moving on to the next hive.

Perhaps it is due to keeping gentle stock, but only in the occasional yard
do I rile up the guards at any entrance that I can't complete the job
without getting a single sting.

Thus, I'm curious as to reports that the noise of the string or the
engines, or the fumes initiate defensive response.  On the other hand, if I
hand pull a few weeds from the entrance, I will nearly invariably receive a
sting or two.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA