From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 10:55:00 +0100
Many thanks to Robert Mann for giving this report publicity.  Although as
yet it is unpublished work and ideal for a sensational newspaper article it
does indicate how uncertain and potentially hazardous GM activity might be.
I am sorry that as a consultant ecologist Robert did not express an opinion.

I wish there was better information available.  The worrying aspect to my
mind, and I wish I knew more about this, is that I believe GM technologists
use antibiotic resistant marker genes to help identify the successful, or
other wise, transfer of the genes actually being manipulated.   I hope a
Bee-L expert can explain this reassuringly.

If antibiotic resistant genes are transferred to the bacteria in the gut of
honeybees what does this imply for the use of Terramycin against EFB and the
bacteria in our own alimentary canal if we swallow antibiotic resistant
genes in GM pollen?

Regards

Glyn Davies

Ashburton, Devon, UK