From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:43:35 -0500
Hello All,
Off list Ron Bogansky asked if I am not using checkmite what am I using.

The last time I used checkmite was in the fall of 2002. Reports had surfaced
at the 2002 ABF convention  from the Beltsville bee lab  that coumaphos was
being found in brood comb with as per label use.

Also California queen breeders were having problems raising queens while
Checkmite was in hives. ( ABF convention 2002)

I had always used checkmite at half label so felt not a serious problem but
a growing concern as was not supposed to happen according to prior testing
before the section 18..

In the spring of 2003 I began a large comb replacement project. Over half my
comb is new. I used Apilife var in the early fall 2003 with success.

I have quite a few hives untreated but watched closely for varroa loads. SMR
,SMR/Italian, SMR survivor, Russian/NWC and Russian/Russian.

Late fall use of Apilife var has problems as has been shown to be true in
the article on page 475 of the June 2004 American Bee Journal.

Those now reading the article (as the June issue hits mail boxes around the
world )"Evaluation of selected biopesticide for the LATE FALL control of
varroa mites in a northern temperate climate" by Michael Stanghellini and
Paul Raybold *PLEASE NOTE* that the researchers tested Apilife var in
temperatures at least 10 degrees  F.below what the maker recommends. Hence
the low control and the low control on double brood boxes *in my opinion*.

I do not believe the research gave Apilife var a fair test and the article
should have stated the maker recommends use at a higher temperature for
varroa control.

But the article is important as it shows that if you are using formic acid
or Apilife var and treat to late in the fall poor varroa control will be had
IN NORTHERN CLIMATES.

All chemicals have got their drawbacks. For a infestation of varroa
approaching threshold Checkmite is hard to beat but some coumaphos will
remain in brood comb wax.

I respect Roger's opinion but our researchers say coumaphos stays in wax
much longer than the five years Roger stated.

The process to remove coumaphos from wax is on patent (I am told) by Bayer
corp (1979) and none of the wax processing plants have bought the rights to
use the process from Bayer yet (I have been told). The above all comes from
the *beekeeper grapevine* so may be accurate or may not. If the above is
true then coumaphos is not being removed from recycled wax. Do others have
better information? If so please correct the above for the sake of accuracy!

Bob