From:
John Burgess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:25:59 -0000
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:26:10 -0000, Steve Rose <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>   I would have thought that by "dehydrate" the translator might have
> meant "without water" which would have been "anhydrate"

The original German text which is also available on the Swiss Dairy
website is clear that it is the dihydrate which has been used.

> I understand that most recipes assume anhydrate when they specify the
> concentration.

The dihydrate is the commonly available form of oxalic acid, and is the
form used in most recipes. Scientific papers often refer to concentrations
of the active ingredient, but this is not the case in this instance. There
is quite a large difference - anhydrous OA has a molecular weight of 45
and the dihydrate 63. It is important to be precise about which form of a
chemical is being used if you want to get the desired result (and not kill
any bees!)

Regards, John B