From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:14:01 -0400
This is what we have been waiting for ....some insight into the science going on to find answers to
CCD

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/science/24bees.html?
em&ex=1177560000&en=f5ba22e773db984a&ei=5087%0A

couple of tidbits

"More than a quarter of the country’s 2.4 million bee colonies have been lost — tens of billions of
bees, according to an estimate from the Apiary Inspectors of America, a national group that tracks
beekeeping"

Of course the obvious question is, is half of that loss normal winter loss? Wish we new the context
of that statistic.

Dr. Cox Foster is quoted extensively in the article

"Genetic testing at Columbia University has revealed the presence of multiple micro-organisms in
bees from hives or colonies that are in decline, suggesting that something is weakening their
immune system. The researchers have found some fungi in the affected bees that are found in
humans whose immune systems have been suppressed by the Acquired Immune Deficiency
Syndrome or cancer.

“That is extremely unusual,” Dr. Cox-Foster said.

A MUST read for anyone following the CCD story.