From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:21:39 -0700
 Joel wrote:
 I too have observed this phenomenon  in New World
Carniolans, Buckfasts  and Italians.

Reply:

This is good you seeing this and is what we have been
following for more than 6 plus years now.

Joel also wrote:
 The pictures I have seen posted and my own observations
only
involve worker brood.

Reply:

Yes, this is true for the most part, but it is easy to
trigger chewing out of drone brood also.

Joel further wrote:
If indeed this is the bees attempt to control  varroa, and
if varroa is more attracted to the drone brood, then why
are we not observing the bees chewing out the drone brood
more that the worker brood?

Reply:

After more then 6 years watching IMPOV there is a time and
a place for this like everything else. We are currently in
deep discussion on this at:

as others are seeing the same thing in their bees. Further
since anyone can trigger the phenomona with their OWN bees
it is being explained how on the BioBee list.

Unfortunately, the key trigger is natural range small cell
size comb and culling of drones to 10% levels on anyone
frame when working colonies back up, which in practice
actually stimulates their active raising all year long

Joel additionally wrote:

Has anyone observed the same phenomenon concerning drone
brood to the same extent as worker brood?

Reply:

Bee colonies do not work drone brood the same priority as
workerbrood as mite cycles fluxuate up and down throughout
the active year.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby,
Commercial Beekeeper(non-mirgatory)