From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:01:57 -0500
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:27:25 -0800, Mike Stoops
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Brain,
>     Are you aware of the dependency that growers have for pollenation
by bees located outside of their states?  I think almond pollenation is
the biggest crop dependent upon bee pollenation for high nut
production.

Brian responds
We have about 2-3 dozen migratory beekeepers in the state here. I
know several of them. I don't see why they and the almond business
trumps my  and other smaller beekeepers and the publics desire to
keep AHB out. I don't think Mn voters would care much about almond
pollinations needs if they thought they could do something proactive to
keep AHB out.

I grow apples for a living too. The way I figure it they should have
thought about their pollination needs before investing in the trees.
What I've read is that there are already huge increases in the ground
already with more planned.  Ya know what farming is a risky business.

My other point is that in the southern USA infiltration of AHB may be
impossible to stop.  Thats not neccesarily the case in the northern US.
If AHB does not migrate on its own to northern states we could
probably keep it out by closing borders. Why  would we not want to do
that?  In fact the northern states may be the only place to get EHB
bees and queens someday in  the US.

I mean seriously does the income for 30 odd migratory beekeepers in
this state outweigh the nightmare of dealing with the public and
media's increased focus on bees and beekeepers?  Those 30 odd
migratory beekeepers need not lose ther livelihood altogether either.

We see good honey crops here with 100+ pound averages quite
common.  Its not that hard to over winter honey bees up here either
with less then 10% losses. From my perspective moving bees in and
out of Mn is unnecessary  and mostly benefits people outside of our
state.

I'd suggest that you're in this too deep if you think the bee and almond
industry has enough pull to overcome  john or jane doe's fear of "killer
bees" !!!!!