From:
Robt Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:53:03 +1300
Bill Truesdell wrote:
> There is no question
>that a set routine of pesticide use works

        As a generality, this is unfortunately incorrect.  There are many
examples of inefficacy of pesticides, even when used according to
instructions.  The late U Calif prof Robt van den Bosch in his classic book
'The Pesticides Conspiracy' gave many examples, as does the textbook
'Ecoscience' by Ehrlich, Ehrlich & Holdren.  Some of the flops are due to
poisoning natural predators; a pest that is still on the hoof and palatable
to its predator can kill the predator which eats dozens of the pest species
per day.  This may well be what Bill was thinking of when he added
>And in the long run is counterproductive
                but the counterproductivity is, in many well-documented
cases, sooner than that.
        In the long run, pesticide-resistant mutant pests are pretty well
bound to prevail, as shown by the tragic history of malaria control and
many other cases.

        All this is apart from the side-effects on humans which are a real
concern regarding many pesticides.  According to the UN FAO, pesticides
kill tens of thousands of humans each year (mainly in the Third World).
Sub-lethal poisoning must be even more frequent.

        IPM properly understood is really the best way forward, for those
who feel unable to kick the pesticide habit cold.  IPM need not entail any
pesticides, if they prove not to be needed; but they are held in reserve
for minimal use if necessary.  The management of apple pests by IPM was
largely developed at Wash State U and is a great credit to those
scientists.  Compared with blind routine use of pesticides, it is far
wiser.
        I say this without any fear of contradiction from any expert in
applied ecology.

        And when you can kick the habit, what awaits you can be as good as
is now achieved by NZ organic apple growers who have just racked up a new
record of $80/case when pesticide-laden apples fetch only about $16.

-
Robt Mann
consultant ecologist
   P O Box 28878  Remuera, Auckland 1005, New Zealand
                (9) 524 2949