Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:54:40 -0400
> If the bees can fly, they leave before the tell tale traces appear, but we
>> have had staining which was tested and was N.C..
>>

> Maybe, but how was cause and effect proven?

It was not a controlled test, but an observation by Tony Jadczak with one of
his colonies a winter ago. The tests were done by Beltsville. Tony did pass
beekeeping 101. Not sure about Beltsville.

If you look at the literature, it seems that the issue is not that NC is not
associated with dysentery, but that dysentery has not been observed. So now
it has been observed. (Love that triple negative.)

All the literature I saw was from warm climate observations.

As far as cause and effect, if it is the only factor for problems in the
colony, it would be an observable effect which was the case.

NC is still fairly new in the research world, so the book is still not
complete. Now there is at least one data point from a cold climate and a
more than reputable observer that points to dysentery as an outcome.

An aside. NA also does not lead to dysentery. It can, which is why you look
for other factors before pinning the tail on that donkey. But if NA does on
some occasions then why does NC not in all conditions? Especially being
penned up by a Maine winter. For me, the real leap is that no dysentery is
an absolute. Makes little sense when coupled with what is going on inside
the bee. But then, I am still trying to pass Beekeeping 101.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine