From:
Chuck Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:55:36 -0500
Greetings to All,

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Harri Poom wrote:

"I'm a beginning hobby beekeeper...I'm going to requeen these three
hives....I'd build a hive that has a brood chamber that has no frames and
where bees could build their combs without foundation."

It worries me considerably that someone would even consider a frameless
brood chamber. The purpose of using movable frames is both management and
inspection. Without movable frames within the hive, the entire hive, there
is no management. In most states, here in this country, such practices are
unlawful; however, hives without foundation, or without frames and
foundation can sometimes be found from the most unlikely sources, or “know
it alls” who come to me with their problems.

 In the situation described above, if a super with frames is placed upon
the hive body the bees will most likely draw down comb from the bottom
frames of the super and whenever the super was separated from the hive
body most likely a mess would ensue. You could not inspect your brood, you
could not manipulate frames, and most likely you could not reverse your
hive body with your super.  The comb within the hive body most likely
would be constructed in a convoluted disarrangement resembling a roller
coaster ride in some amusement park or simple a complex maze. This truly
is not the way to go, Make your own frames if you have to and use 1 to 2
inch strips of foundation as a starter if beekeeping supplies are
difficult to find or to purchase.  You could also consider the top bar
hive as an alternative since you are more interested in pollination for
your orchard.  Another thing that I always suggest to new beekeepers is to
find a mentor to help guide you through the most difficult period of
beekeeping, the beginning.

In a related mater I was on the phone earlier this week with our State
Apiarist, who had just returned from several weeks in Haiti with the
Farmer to Farmer Program. BI had been contacted by Virginia Sopyla earlier
this month about the possibility of volunteering for two or three weeks
and I wanted to get a status report from Don prior to any commitment.

Haiti is an extremely poor country and the farmers there are in dire need
of help, a lot of the beekeepers are still using log hives, and because of
poverty and ignorance and whatever reason are not using foundation in
their hives; and very few are using Langstroth hives. The Farmer to Farmer
program is looking for beekeepers to volunteer their time and expertise,
you can help. Not only is help needed in Haiti, but in other Central and
South American countries.

Virginia asked, if I “might know some colleagues who would be interested.
We are looking for a variety of practitioners and experts in the areas
mentioned above (BEEKEEPING) who could travel to Haiti for two weeks as a
volunteer (all expenses are covered). If you are interested in learning
more, please visit our website (see below) and contact us - we can send
you information on the specific project and the assignments. We have an
excellent team in Haiti and have had a successful program there for more
than eight years.”

Well, I can’t think of a better way of spreading the word, contact
information and a web site is below:

Virginia Sopyla
Farmer to Farmer Program
Partners of the Americas
1424 K Street NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20005

Tel: 202-637-6204

http://www.partners.net

Find a way to always use frames and foundation.  Its bad enough when I
forget to replace a frame that for some reason I removed since when I come
back to the hive whilst in a honey flow the space where the frames was is
now filled will comb stuck to the frame above, not always straight and is
full of honey and brood.  Anyway you look at it, it is a mess, now
multiply that mess from a single frame missing by a whole hive body and
you’ve got a monstrosity.

Hope that I have helped.

Sincerely,

Chuck Norton