From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:22:32 -0500
Hello Peter and All,
Peter we have had this discussion before on the Irish bee list a few years
ago I believe . I am truly sorry terramycin can not be used in your country
or so I have been told for EFB (European foulbrood). Ken Hoare and others in
the UK advocate the burning of equipment etc. for EFB.

Most beekeepers in the U.S. only consider EFB as a minor problem.

Easily cleared up with terramycin and easily cleaned up by the bees.

Even though a bacteriostat the terramycin works if used properly and a hell
of a lot easier than the procedures used against EFB in the UK.

Many UK beekeepers use the same methods recommended  in the U.S. for advance
AFB ( American foulbrood) for EFB (burning, scorching etc.). In my opinion
burning is not working as the best control in the U.K. because of the high
amount of EFB problems which were talked about on the IBL list  while I was
on the list.

Although most bee books recommend burning etc. in extreme cases of EFB I
have always been able to cure my EFB with antibiotic treatment.

True a diagnosis of EFB when really AFB by a beginner could result in a
problem because of the difference in spores BUT the treatment for both
recommended in the U.S. for early detection IS the same. Terramycin. Also
the antibiotic recommended by the Canadians.

I am now talking AFB:
As I posted on the IBL. Burning did not eradicate AFB from U.S. bee hives in
the first half of the last century. The USDA was burning every hive with
even a single cell of AFB. *Kind of like they did with those first hives
infested with tracheal mites and varroa mites*  It looked as though the U.S.
beekeeping industry was doomed until a drug was found effective by a
researcher in Columbia, Missouri (sulfa). Although the drug was never
registered for beekeeping use (U.S.)the drug was very effective ,sold by all
bee supply houses and recommended by all bee inspectors and in bee books
giving doses.

Terramycin resistant AFb are showing up in the U.S. but I have not heard
reports of terramycin resistant EFB. Any cases to report list?

a new antibiotic is being registered for AFB use  in the U.S. but not
registered yet I believe.

Peter wrote:

> Whoa!
>  Terramycin does not kill EFB - it is a bacteriostat not a bacteriocide -
> and     will only stop EFB whilst the terramycin is active.  If the bees
do not   clear the bacteria during this temporary break, then EFB will
recur.

I know you UK beekeepers have got strong opinions on EFB control. I hope we
can *agree to disagree* (again) but I would not go to the trouble you UK
beekeepers do concerning EFB. EFB is simply not a big deal with U.S.
beekeepers or to myself.

Everything Peter lists about EFB detection is correct. A excellent
inexpensive  bee disease detection book ( with color pictures)is put out by
the Canadian Association of Professional Apiculturists ($3 to $5 U.S.) The
book has only 16 pages and was published by the CAPA.

Quote from page 4 of the book:

"Although EFB effects brood of bees worldwide, EFb is not usually
considered to be a serious disease of honey bees
(except in the U.K. )*added by Bob*

 When I had time to do two lists I was on the Irish Beekeeping list. My
friends  on the list quickly tried to convert me to the UK  way of dealing
with EFB. We had many heated debates. As with many beekeeping issues the
U.K. beekeepers treat  EFB their way and we treat EFB our way in the U.S..
There are many ways to successfully keep bees and  you need to choose the
best method for you and your outfit.

I choose antibiotics but only used when needed. I have NEVER treated with
terramycin every spring and fall as many U.S. beekeepers do.

Yellow larva from pollen so so rare in my area hardly worth talking about.
Situation may be different in your area of the world. My mentor when I
started keeping bees (he 90 plus and me thirteen) had a saying about EFB:
"White is right" when looking at larva. A general rule which has never
failed me.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison