From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:34:11 -0500
Dances of Honeybees

Hi Isis

It seems that we are reading some of the same books! I was lucky to see
Donald Griffin a few years back at Cornell. Ironically, over the years he
had been chastised for his non-mainstream views, somewhat as Dr. Wenner has
been. Even though their views are at opposite ends of the spectrum on this
issue.

He died two years ago. From his obit: "While an undergraduate at Harvard in
1938, he and a fellow student Robert Galambos used microphones to prove that
bats 'see in the dark' by emitting ultrasonic sounds and listening for the
return echoes, solving the mystery of how bats navigate in the dark and
catch their insect prey."