From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 06:29:22 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<There were excellent studies done in England on winter feeds.  The less
mineral content and other indigestibles the better. Plain sugar  syrup
(nothing left in the gut) was the best followed by HFCS and the last  was
honey! (Lots on this list about  that.)>>

At the same time, there's anecdotal evidence of  some strains building up
better when wintered on heather honey, which has a  small percentage of protein,
and presumably a relatively high ash content. Given  that significant areas of
Britain would once have had sufficient heather to make  it a significant
honey source, there's nothing very surprising there. I don't  know whether anyone
has done any research on wintering in different races of  honeybee, but it's
possible, I'd have thought, that some would have a greater  ability to retain
ash in the gut over long periods than others.

    Regards,

    Robert Brenchley