From:
Dave Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 13:34:01 -0500
From: "Peter Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
> I would split the colonies as you would to do an artificial swarm.  The
> old queens stay on the original site with a frame of brood to keep them
> happy, plus either foundation or drawn comb. They will collect the
> fliers - I am sure that plenty will come back from that distance.
> Population will dip until new bees emerge.
>
> The new queens will go on the new site and will have all the brood plus
> the non-flying nurse bees.

This is the opposite advice I gave.  But I would concur with this - if new
queens are being given the splits. Acceptance will be better without the old
bees.

But I understood that the splits will be raising their own queens. This will
be done basically by young bees.

Dave Green
Ten beekeepers in a room will result in at least 11 opinions