From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:18:14 -0500
Hello All,
At many bee meetings the subject of the weight of honey supers comes up.
The issue of the different choices of super sizes is the main issue with
hobby beekeepers.

The real issue in my opinion is:

My point is that I have seen guys weighing less than 100 pounds handle boxes
heavier than heavy deep supers all day long without problem.

Most truck lines set  weight limits for a single man in the 125 pound range.

The reason super weight is always a subject for many hobby beekeepers is
that many  are couch potatoes and simply out of shape!

When I hire help with bee work which involves  heavy lifting I always reach
out in a friendly way and  touch the arm of the  future helper.

 If flab is found I decline his offer of help as out of shape even a shallow
super can cause serious injury.

In the spring of the year before heavy bee work and before honey super
removal starts I do excersizes. So do all my beekeeper friends. Even simple
streching excersizes before the day starts can prevent injury.

A few of those reading the above on the list might remember me shaking their
hand and putting my hand on their arm at the same time at a national
meeting.

 Out of shape is a dead give away of a commercial beekeeper which spends all
his time in the office on the phone or arranging schedules and does little
of the actual bee work himself.

Many times these are the lifetime beekeepers which get a serious bee sting
reaction as they let their imunity drop because of lack of stings and the
whole world says he has sudddenly developed a reaction to stings after a
lifetime of getting stings.

Bob