From:
George Fielder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:31:07 EDT
In a message dated 10/10/02 12:00:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> What are current thoughts on where
> to put the space and how high it should be?

Hi Allen and all

I have been making and using the Quebec type escapes (two triangles one
inside the other) for almost 20 years.  I have never set out to run
experiments but pretty well use what scraps of wood are at hand.  I notice no
difference with 3/8" , 1/2" or 3/4" rims on the top side (from which I want
the bees to go).  Perhaps that is because I do not like burr comb to build up
so would remove it from time to time.  But, I have just checked and found
only one of my 9 escape boards at hand have any trace of burr comb on the top
side.  I think that without bees, nectar, etc. going in and out, comb
building quickly stops in the super being emptied of bees.

On the other hand I find that my escapes with 5/8" to 7/8" rims on the bottom
side empty the super faster.  I think that this is because of congestion in
the receiving super.  Especially with booming colonies on 3 brood chambers I
have noticed a lot of milling around and non progress in the escape routes,
as well as many bees left in the super, if I want to retrieve the honey in
only one or 2 days.  Thus I always prefer to have a deep rim on the under
side to give the 'escaping' bees lots of room to clear the exits quickly
rather than stopping to discuss the new anomaly with all and sundry.  With
these deep rims on the lower side, I can retrieve the honey the next day
without carrying home too many bees.

george