From:
Mary Jane Phifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2012 17:46:25 -0400
Bee-L,

Our daughter was a 2012 ISEF finalist from Missouri and hopes to have another project to be able to attend again in 2013.  Her project last year revolved around kefir (a fermented milk product) and its probiotic characteristics.  She is doing a continuation of the project, focusing on the applications of probiotics with honeybees.  She will be needing volunteers to carryout her prescribed treatments and if the participants could be worldwide, all the better.  She will pay for postage when needed; at this time she is looking for folks willing to give a high school senior a helping hand...  Below is her note to you-   thank you for your help!

Hello,

I am a high school senior and this year I am constructing a science experiment about bees. I will be
experimenting to see if I can find a non-pharmaceutical treatment for nosema, and maybe other diseases too.

One possible treatment is dried kefir, a probiotic health drink that helps people who are lactose intolerant. I am testing
it against nosema because it has been discovered that bees have lactic acid in their intestines.  Nosema affects the bee’s digestive system and kefir contains lactose, which converts to lactic acid.

In addition, I am looking into kombucha, a fermented tea beverage that also has lactic acid.

Hopefully if the experiments pan out in the way I wish it too, the probiotics will help bees fight nosema, and
improve gut health.  In order to test my experiment I need volunteers with hives infected with the
disease and people willing to hold off pre-treating with fumagillin to give my treatments a try first.

Anybody who is interested, or wishes to help, please send me your email address and your name with Bee-L in the subject line . All and any help is welcome.  More information will be given to those who wish to participate.

Thank you.
Savannah Phifer          [log in to unmask]